Wow, lunch was sensational. The Hilton knows how to do it. I’ve been to many conferences and, hands down, that’s the best conference lunch ever. Good work, Barry.
1. ADVANCED LANDING PAGES
Speaker = Rod Jackman
- Rod shows some electronic stores landing pages. Bad results. Some still sending to home page!
- And now some travel sites showing very untargetted landing pages. If your visitor is searching for Mediterranean holidays, send them to a Mediterranean holiday landing page.
- Negatives are critical. Holidays in Turkey, need lots of negatives about “cooking turkey”.
- With some simple programming, you can create dynamic landing pages that include the actual search term of the searcher.
- A visitor who has been to your site 5 times may warrant different treatments. Use info in the UTMA cookie. (This is advanced Google Analytics.)
- I think he could be explaining a little more on how to implement some of these tips.
2. IMPROVING YOUR QUALITY SCORE (QS)
Speaker = Andrew Goodman (He wrote the book on Google AdWords. Literally.)
- You may think Quality Score (QS) optimisation is tedious, but take heed, your competitors will not be doing this. Keep going. You will succeed.
- Running through history of QS.
- Main factor in QS is your click-through rate (CTR).
- Brand terms get good CTR. Therefore good for your QS. Make sure you have targetted all your brand terms.
- Tight relationship with KEYWORDS -> ADS -> LANDING PAGES. This really is THE key to successful AdWords.
- Myth -> don’t avoid the Content Network because CTR is lower.
3. GOOGLE OPTIMISER (GO)
Speaker = Frederick Vallaey (AdWords Evangelist at Google)
- Average 1-2% conversion rate across the web. This means 98% of visits don’t convert!!!
- As Avinash would say “coz your website sucks”.
- GO is a free tool, but it is still enterprise class, some of the biggest companies in the world use it.
- Use advanced segmentation, it’s a great feature.
- The new Intelligence Reports will send you alerts if certain traffic or goals are achieved. Saves you time.
- GO is a metrics-based approach to test different elements on your landing page.
- Does your landing page have ONE CLEAR GOAL?
- Which page should you test? Look at the Top Landing Page report in Google Analytics. Then look at Funnel Visualisation to see which page people are leaving.
- Heat maps show that people don’t read they scan. So make your pages scanable (white space, less text).
- If you have an image, place the call-to-action near the image!
- GO also enables you to do easy A/B testing (ie 2 different landing pages).
- You should always preview your combinations before you start the test (ie text could be the same colour as the background).
- Don’t be afraid to make bold changes.
- (I’m tiring, need caffeine…)
By Philip Shaw
Stay In The Know
Cut the clutter and stay on top of important news like this. We handpick the single most noteworthy news of the week and send it directly to subscribers. Join the club to stay in the know…